The Metropolitan Museum of Art, one of the world’s finest museums, seeks a specialist in Architecture & Design for the Modern & Contemporary Department. The Associate Curator will participate in research, development and active management of the Modern and Contemporary collection and the Breuer project; initiation of collection displays, major special exhibitions, publications and interpretation; and participation in all activities of the Department.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
• Participation in review of architecture, design and other related aspects of the collection;
• Participation in devising departmental collection and research strategies, and delivering them;
• Initiation and organization of collection displays and special exhibitions including research, catalog entries, other texts and database maintenance for Museum programs and the Breuer project;
• Fostering and maintaining good working relationships with donors, patrons, collectors, colleagues from other international institutions, the scholarly community, dealers, and other individuals involved with the interests of the Museum;
• Author and essayist for general and specialized publications and other content, printed and online;
• Answering correspondence relating to Collection; assisting the public and visiting scholars;
• Contribution to public programs (Learning, Volunteers, and so on);
• Interaction with potential sponsors; fundraising as appropriate;
• Involvement with planning programs for Modern & Contemporary Friends’ groups.
Requirements and Qualifications:
Experience and Skills:
• Minimum four years’ experience in a museum or academic institution;
• Demonstrated engagement with architectural, design and artistic practice across the world;
• Demonstrated scholarly achievement including evidence of original research;
• Demonstrated commitment to international engagement and learning;• Initiated and executed major contemporary loan exhibitions with broad international scope;
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with artists, museum colleagues, donors and general public;
• Ability to create and maintain precise and widely researched records.
Knowledge and Education:
• PhD (or equivalent) in history of art;
• Deep expertise in twentieth and twenty-first century architecture, design and art;
• Extensive background in international modern and contemporary culture;• Good written and spoken English;
• Proficiency in one non-English language preferred.
The Associate Curator for Architecture & Design for the Modern & Contemporary Department is full-time and includes full benefits. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Send cover letter, indicating position of interest, resume, and salary history to:
as a Word attachment only
with “Assoc Curator/Architecture & Design” in the subject line.
Deadline for applications: 26 Nov 2012