The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation (SRGF) is seeking an Associate Curator. The Associate Curator will work in close association with the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum’s senior curatorial staff and the staff of TCA (Tourism and Culture Authority) in Abu Dhabi to develop an ambitious international program of pre-opening exhibitions, public programs, focus groups, publications and commissions. The Associate Curator will also participate in acquisition strategy discussions and form part of the Abu Dhabi Project Curatorial Working Group in making acquisition recommendations.
Exhibitions and Progamming
- · With the Guggenheim Foundation’s senior curatorial staff and TCA colleagues develop a distinctive multiyear strategy and vision for the pre-opening program of the Guggenheim Abu Dhabi.
- · General responsibilities for pre-opening exhibitions include original research, composing checklists, negotiating loans, writing essays and related didactic texts, overseeing exhibition installations, managing exhibition budgets, and coordinating all exhibition details with other departments within the museum. Liaise with external venues for traveling exhibitions.
- · Maintain oversight of all pre-opening exhibition catalogues and related published materials in coordination with Guggenheim Museum New York staff and TCA colleagues.
- · Develop educational and public outreach programs with Education staff and TCA colleagues as part of pre-opening program leading up to the opening of Guggenheim Abu Dhabi.
- · Liaise with Communications and Marketing teams regarding strategic plans and campaign for pre-opening activities relating to the future Museum, and respond to questions from press.
- · Collaborate with the Project curatorial team and TCA colleagues in developing content and structure for Focus Group meetings on Guggenheim Abu Dhabi-related subjects.
- · Work with the Senior Architecture and Commissions Manager to co-ordinate for the Abu Dhabi Project Team research and the presentation of the Guggenheim Abu Dhabi commissions program by way of written and visual presentations.
- · Lead on the development of artist commissions as designated.
- · Contribute to the development of the Collection Strategy and Curatorial Narrative for the Guggenheim Abu Dhabi collection, including space and financial analyses, art historical contextualization and the production of written and visual presentations.
- · Participate in Abu Dhabi Project Curatorial Working Group meetings.
- · Research and make recommendations of acquisitions for the Guggenheim Abu Dhabi Collection, including writing acquisition dossiers, liaison with artists and their representatives on acquisitions, and coordinate due diligence procedures.
- · Liaise with SRGF senior curatorial ,conservation staff, and TCA colleagues on acquisition related materials.
Project Planning and General Management
- · Participate in weekly curatorial meetings for the Project curatorial team to prepare for weekly curatorial calls, curatorial agendas, and to review priorities and Project work plans.
- · Participate in weekly conference calls and, when appropriate, on-site meetings with TCA colleagues in Abu Dhabi.
- · Communicate with conservation, publications, and education staff on all matters relating to art, artists and exhibitions.
- · Contribute to the activities of the museum membership groups, including the Middle Eastern Circle.
- · Collaborate with institutional colleagues to develop programs, classes, lecture series, etc. for public and museum membership groups.
- · Give gallery talks, lectures, panel discussions and VIP tours in support of the Abu Dhabi Project, exhibitions, educational projects or as needed.
- · Manage general departmental mail and correspondence related to research requests from colleagues and the general public.
- · Represent Guggenheim Abu Dhabi project curatorial department at regional Middle Eastern and international art exhibitions and events. Build relationships with UAE and Middle Eastern art communities both across the region and internationally.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- · Advanced degree in Art History or related field with concentration in 20th-century and/or contemporary art. Knowledge of nonwestern cultures critical, particularly art of the Middle East.
- · Minimum of 6 years of curatorial experience in 20th century and/or contemporary art.
- · Proven experience in working in an international context; interest in cultural diplomacy.
- · Proven knowledge of professional museum practices, including realization of loan exhibitions; history of scholarship and publications related to modern or contemporary art; and experience in project fundraising and exhibition programming.
- · Experience working with museum membership groups and patron committees.
- · Ability to spend majority of time in Abu Dhabi as well as travel domestically and internationally.
- · Verbal and written fluency in English. Knowledge of Arabic or Farsi preferred.
- · Proficiency with database software (The Museum System preferred) and Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word and Excel) software.
- · Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- · Strong communication skills, written and interpersonal.
The Guggenheim offers a competitive salary and excellent medical, dental, life, disability, and retirement plan coverage. Our staff also enjoys generous vacation, sick leave and personal days, access to a variety of cultural institutions, discounts to museum stores, and a stimulating and collegial work environment.
Qualified applicants please send your resume and cover letter, including salary expectations, to email@example.com. Indicate the job title “Associate Curator, Abu Dhabi Project” in the subject line.
The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.
Job: Assistant Curator for Abu Dhabi Project
Call: The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation (SRGF)
City: New York
More information: http://media.guggenheim.org/content/pdf/hr/2013/AssociateCurator_AbuDhabi_011113.pdf